Public Safety Complaint
If you notice a public safety problem related to gas, electric, cable, telephone, water, or mobile home park utilities – such as a dangling wire or a gas leak – dial 911 and report the problem. After your call, you also have the option to file a complaint with the CPUC.
The fastest way to file a complaint is using the online complaint form.
Please be aware that the CPUC cannot help you resolve issues with:
- Publicly owned or municipal utilities, such as SMUD or the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
- Federal, city, or county taxes and surcharges on your bills
- Long-distance telephone, cable TV, cellular phone rates, paging, or Internet rates and services
The CPUC also cannot award claims for damages, or help you determine a utility’s alleged negligence or liability. If you cannot resolve this type of problem with the utility directly, you can file a claim in civil court.
If you do not want to file your complaint online, you can send us a written complaint letter. Be sure to include:
- Your name
- The name the account is billed under (if it is different than your name)
- Your mailing address
- The service address (if it is different than your mailing address)
- The name of the utility or company
- The name of the utility or company’s representative you contacted (if applicable)
- A brief description of the problem (no more than two pages)
- Daytime phone number where you can be reached
- The phone number or account number of the service (if applicable)
You can mail your written complaint to:
CPUC Utilities Safety Branch
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102-3298
If you have any questions about mobile home park safety, you can call us at 1-415-703-1126. For all other public safety complaints, you can call us at 1-800-755-1447.
For more information on how the CPUC can help Consumers resolve issues, please see Do You Have a Question or Complaint?