• Consumer Affairs Branch

    Helpful Resources for Areas Not Regulated by the CPUC

    The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulates privately owned California utilities that provide energy, water, and telecommunications services.  If you have a question or complaint concerning one of these utility providers, the CPUC can help you through its Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB).  However, if your utility is operated by a government entity such as a municipality, CAB cannot assist you.  Also, CAB cannot assist you with certain services that utilities provide which are regulated by the Federal Government or local governments.

     The following are examples of entities, services, or charges that CAB cannot assist you with:

    • Municipalities
    • Federal, City or County  surcharges or taxes
    • Telephone equipment
    • Interstate and international long distance calling (except slamming)
    • Yellow page directory advertising
    • Propane providers
    • Collection Agencies

     Municipal Utilities

    You may reach the largest municipal utilities at:

    Eat Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) at: www.ebmud.com 

    Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LA DWP) at: www.ladwp.com 

    Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) at: www.smud.org  

    For other municipal utilities in California, please refer to your bill for contact information.

    Federal Communications Commission (FCC)

    You may contact the FCC with concerns regarding:

    • Interstate and International Calls
    • Wireless Rates and Cell Tower Siting
    • Telephone Equipment
    • Internet Service
    The FCC encourages online filing of complaints using the form available at:   www.fcc.gov/complaints  


    Federal Communications Commission
    445 12th Street SW
    Washington, DC 20554

    Phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC


    For assistance with issues regarding rates or services from propane providers please contact:

    Western Propane Gas Association
    2131 Capitol Avenue, Suite 206
    Sacramento, CA 95816



    Other Areas

    CAB cannot provide assistance with issues regarding: 

    • Damage Claims
    • Directory Advertising
    • Landlord/Tenant Issues
    • Rebates & Promotions
    • Cell phone or cable TV rates

    If you cannot settle your complaint with the utility, you may seek resolution through civil or small claims court.  Many counties also have small claims advisors who may be able to help with your complaint.  More information is available at California Courts - Small Claims  


    Cable and satellite television may also be subject to local municipal or county regulations. You may contact the appropriate agency in your city or county government.