• California Cares Regulated Utility Complaints Portal

    The California Cares complaints portal of the CPUC’s Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB) exists to assist consumers in resolving disputes involving their regulated utility providers.  Our team of specialized caseworkers will work with you to determine the facts of each case and then interact with the utilities to attempt to resolve any and all problems.  We process thousands of complaints each year and can play a constructive role in mediating difficult issues.  To submit a complaint, please follow the steps outlined below.

    How to file a complaint

    Please follow the two step process outlined below if you have a complaint or inquiry about your utility provider.


  •    Initial Step: Contact Your Utility Provider

    Before contacting the CPUC, we recommend that you give your utility provider an opportunity to resolve your complaint by contacting their customer service department.  To get the best results from contacting your utility provider, please review the information in the link below.  
  •    Second Step: Contact Us

    If your utility provider is unable to resolve your dispute, or if you are dissatisfied with the resolution, you may contact the CPUC for assistance. To obtain the best results from your interaction with us, we encourage you to review the information provided in the links below before you contact us.  If you are already familiar with our complaint process you can file a written complaint using our online complaint form.   
  • Our primary role is to answer questions and resolve informal complaints submitted by consumers against utility providers that are subject to CPUC authority.

    We receive these consumer contacts via phone and in writing. Written consumer contacts may be submitted via U.S. Mail, fax, or online.

    How we can help

    We cannot help in all situations as the CPUC does not regulate some utility services and charges.

    • We cannot directly assist consumers that have questions and complaints about utility providers that are regulated by Federal, or Local Governments.
    • We cannot assist with certain fees such as taxes and surcharges not imposed by the CPUC.


     Please refer to our resources page for more information and whom to contact about Not Regulated - Non Jurisdictional matters. 

  • Useful Information

    Need Help Icon


    Frequently Asked Questions

    California Lifeline Logo

    LifeLine Appeal Process

    Appeal a LifeLine Program participation denial

    Resources Image 47x46 Transparent


    Resources to obtaining help with your utility bill

  • Visit the CPUC Main Site

    The CPUC protects consumers by ensuring the provision of safe, reliable utility service and infrastructure at reasonable rates, with a commitment to environmental enhancement and a healthy California economy. Find out more about our work on our main website.

    Visit Site

  • CAB Contact Information

    Filing your complaints through our online portal is the fastest way to resolve your complaint.  If, however, you prefer to submit your complaint via mail, e-mail, or fax, you can do so by contacting us at the addresses and numbers below:

    Mailing Address:

    California Public Utilities Commission
    Consumer Affairs Branch
    505 Van Ness Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94102

    Telephone 1-800-649-7570
    Fax: 1-415-703-1158
    Monday-Friday, 8.30am-4:30pm

    Email: consumer-affairs@cpuc.ca.gov